Saturday, February 28, 2009

Enough already!

With February drawing to a close, the newspapers are blaring summaries of how repressed things are. Here is a sample:
All this makes you wonder if there is light at the end of the tunnel. How can we possibly extract ourselves from this abject morass?

One option is to behave like the proverbial stork and stick your head into the sand.

I, for one, am not prepared to either stick my head in the sand or get depressed by the crumbling economy. I believe that it is technology that will pull us out of this mess. I am inspired by forward looking thinkers like Juan Enriquez. In his talk (at ~ 7:00 minute mark), he says, "Venture backed companies are 0.02% of the US GDP in investment, but account for 17.5% of the output". Later he says, "As we worry about the flames of the present, let us keep an eye on the future." I am also inspired by Bill Gates who is doing remarkable things to change the world one problem at a time. I believe that President Obama's audacity of hope will become infectious.

For these and several other reasons, I refuse to get swayed by the nay sayers. I am putting my money where my mouth is - in my efforts to bootstrap a startup in the mobile content delivery space. I have been getting a lot of tips and useful pointers from others. I plan to collect them into another blog that I will post shortly.

2 comments:

Mervat said...

Very inspiring...:) Like you I choose not to put my head in the sand.

Hemalathaa said...

I also believe so....opportunities are there and all it requires is very serious effort. I also discuss the mobile initiative and keep getting positive responses only...